Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Went Christmas shopping today.

Bought presents for mum, dad and the sister.

Foolishly charged dad's present to his credit card account. I'll have to think of a way to clear up this mess. I swear it was unintentional. Don't stone me.

As usual, Takashimaya was crawling with people. The season of caring and sharing is also the season of bargains galore. Not that I'm complaining though. Arguably, consumers like yours truly are the real movers and shakers of our economy.

Without us asking for more, would there be any production?

Without us raising our expectations, would there be product innovation?

Without us demanding to be served, would there be any jobs created in the sales industry?

The answer to these three questions would be a resounding no. Thus, I'd like to think of myself as an economic crusader playing an active role in keeping the retail industry bouyant. Through my humble purchases, I contribute to the growth of the Singaporean Incorporated and help to create jobs for thousands of young people. It's touching, really. How a small action by consumers like me and you helps to create a better future for all of us:)

Okok, enough of the materialistic bitch personna.

Today, I got my hands on a sleek and chic corduroy jacket at Wisma. Really proud of my latest purchase. When it was but an invitation to treat at the store display, I was already drawn to it. The cutting was excellent, stroking the satin lining the interior was a sinful pleasure...Plus, it was available in my size! I was very cool about the price. It was destined for me!

After placing a reservation, I went around town to see if I could find anything that could match this bargain. When shopping, I rarely buy something without comparing it with similar items from other shops first. Perhaps because I was so biased towards the corduroy jacket, I found fault in everything else.

"Too loose!"

"Too tight!"

"Too brown!"

"Too blue!"

"I don't like the fact that there are 3 buttons at the sleeves! I want two buttons!"

"I don't like this brand! Only Europeans can carry this brand well."

"This one is so expensive but it makes me look cheap!"

"This one looks horrible under diffused lighting!"

etc. etc. etc.

A legal education trains you to justify your decisions, even though some of the justifications may seem a bit...weird. And rather illogical.

Eventually, I bought the jacket. It was a choice even the store assistant approved. She said I looked really good in the jacket. Besides, she thinks it makes me look taller:) Have to trust her right? After all, she is a professional with superior knowledge. She has a duty to ensure that she had reasonable grounds to believe that her statement was true.

I believe her. Like totally.

I must have pissed off a legion of sales assistants. It's not easy earning my money you know! I won't let you earn a single dollar from me unless I feel that you deserve to! haha.

Haiz...too bad I lost ten dollars on my way home. super sad.

I had lunch with my bestest gal pal, Steph, at the Taka food court today. Due to the crowd, we had to share a table with a middle-aged couple. It was quite surreal, really. A casual observer might be tempted to conclude that we were one family. Having said that, it was an extremely awkard experience sharing a table with a pair of strangers. For starters, I could not try their food even though the woman's mee pok looked quite nice. The guy's fish soup seemed quite tasty too!

Worse, Steph and I had to stick to safe and boring topics. This meant we could not:

1) Talk at the top of our voices.

2) Whine about shrinking allowances and lousy dates.

3) Bitch about people we both knew.

4) Laugh at all the embarassing things I've done since sec 3.

5) Cluck our tongues, shake our heads and wonder what's eating Britney Spears these days.

Wow...now I know why we were so quiet during lunch! But Steph was a chum as usual. So nice to talk to.

To me, girlfriends come and go. A gal pal stays. Especially one whom I've known for nearly six years.

After shopping, I caught a movie with some friends from school. Watched Flag Of Our Fathers. *snores*...'nuff said! It was an agonisingly slow movie with zero plot development, one dimensional characters and lots of fake blood. And one of the soldier's girlfriends was an absolute bitch. That's why I hated the movie.

Hmmm....does anybody know how I can spread some of the holiday cheer to the less fortunate? Missed the Christmas charity thingie. Darn! It seems that I don't have an affinity with events organised by my school. I was really excited about being in the Law Camp Committee and being involved in next year's Freshman Camp. But then I've got ICT!!!

Well, the army is one organisation that would not be getting any Christmas cards this festive season!

1 Comments:

Blogger Notso Smartvik Ram said...

Hehe! We must see this amazing technicolour dreamcoat of yours, Nick. I don't see how a jacket can make anyone look taller unless they sell clothes with matching stilts nowadays. And no prizes for guessing what you were thinking at the food court ("Can i tryyyyy?"). Gd luck with your party prep!

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home