Monday, November 27, 2006

Monday Night Musings..

Singapore Legal System is over and done with....

Well, not THE Singapore Legal System. What I meant was my SLS module.

I am supposed to be immensely relieved now. After all, my sensitive digestive system has remained relatively intact after a horrible weekend spent guzzling reservoirs worth of Red Bull and Nescafe and grappling with the take home exam. Life's a bitch when you have not kept up with one semester's worth of readings and the SLS Profs don't share your wicked sense of humour...

It seems like the only thing they are interested in is objective, rational legal analysis.

This does not work to my advantage at all, since I have always been eager to add in a healthy dose of humour in my writing....

And a healthy dose of what can be accurately described as "NOT objective, rational legal analysis".

I nearly suffered nervous shock when I got the topics.

I was not expecting "What I did last last Christmas", or even "What do you like best about the Singaporean dining scene?" or "A Night At The Disco"...but nothing prepared me for what my Professors had in store for us...

The killer question was Question 2, which was something about the law and economics...

"Examining the law in relation to economics compels you to critique and analyse the relationships and tensions between a system of enforced morality and a system that is driven by the behavioural impulses of society, as reflected by human needs and means."

Sounds pretty impressive eh?

Actually, this sound bite was composed after I had submitted my paper, as I was ruminating in the toilet.

The main problem I had over the weekend was actually quite minor-I just did not understand how the law relates to economics (but now I do!). Writing about the invisible hand was almost like being whipped by a very visible rotan...It was an excruciating experience which I hope I will never have to repeat.

Nevertheless, SLS was a learning experience because it really forced me to think hard about some of the issues that affect our society. At least now I can sound intellectual on dates.

I am not too optimistic about the final exam. Somehow, I think I am under-equppied to face the demands of the examination hall. These fears and insecurities probably stem from a previous traumatic experience during the mid-sem torts test. I had entered the examination venue with a wagon (and I mean it literally....just ask any Law year one) of books and files for the open book test. However, I had forgotten to bring a working blue pen. I still remember the bucketloads (this is figurative) of perspiration dribbling down my back (and front) as I desperately whirled around looking for a kind soul with a spare blue pen. As the tension had made my quite incoherent in my anxious pleas, I had only managed to obtain a pen five seconds before the commencement of the test.

Well, let's hope the same thing does not happen.

1 Comments:

Blogger LCC said...

I'm not trying to rub salt into your wounds but after reading this entry of yours, the first thought that came into my mind was this: "Phew! Thank goodness I didn't apply to study Law!"...

Oh well, just remember to bring extra stationery for your other papers...

And don't drink too much Red Bull, it may give you wings but it's no good for your health in the long run (of course, in the long run, we are still all dead)...

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home