Sunday, December 10, 2006

Holiday Plans

Nothing much has happened lately.

Basically, I've been leading a retiree's lifestyle. Getting 8 hours of sleep everyday...taking the effort to eat 3 meals and chew my food slowly...not snapping and arguing with other people...dressing like a slob and letting my hair grow long.

Oh, and I've banned Red Bull from my household, considering that I nearly consumed the entire output of their Malaysian plants during the examination period. Nescafe stays though. Can't live without my daily 5 cuppas.

It's three days into the hols and I miss school life already. A wise man (me, if I don't recall wrongly) once said that the law is a selfish mistress. Once you start reading about the rules and the system, you get hooked. Life in Law school is like a drug. Once you stop experiencing it, even for a couple of days, the withdrawal symptoms kick in. I feel lost and hollow without the punishing deadlines, the demanding schedules and the crazy workload...and of course, the people. Good, bad or ugly.

Vik and the rest are probably gonna tell me what a geek I am and how I should just get a life and let my hair down. At least for the next couple of days. After all, there are friends to catch up with and new people to meet. Besides, Christmas is coming and the last things you want to think about in the season of caring and sharing are lawsuits and paying damages.

Life without stress is meaningless and boring. There is nothing challenging or exciting about spending the day tanning on the beach or reading cheap paper backs at home. The adrenalin rush of a 10km run is fleeting and transient. Watching a movie or chilling with friends is too sedate. I am so bored doing holiday things!

Oh well, will have to endure this kind of lifestyle for a couple of weeks before spring comes by and we can all enjoy its beauty in the air-conditioned comfort of the CJ Koh Law Library.

Thankfully, fate has thrown something exciting in my way. I've been arrowed to plan my family's Christmas party this year. My parents will be taking a holiday in the far North, somewhere near the Sino-Russian border this Christmas.

The success of this party is important to me. The annual party at my place is probably something that my grandparents, aunts, uncles , cousins and their Filipino maids look forward to for 364 days each year. I figured that it's not too difficult to achieve a successful outcome. I just need to make 15-30 people happy at the same time. Not too difficult right? In fact, I'm starting to think that it's remarkably easy!

My grand vision for the event involves a full-grown sixty lb Turkey roasting in its own juices and a foot long Yuletide Log. The six-foot Christmas tree is already in position with a sparkling array of miscellaneous stuff dangling from its fake branches. It seems like the only thing left is the faux fire place!

And the mistletoe.

And the little lights on the Xmas tree.

And I have to settle the skirting for the tables.

And the menu.

And the invites. I'm thinking handwritten ones. A telephone call seems so...impersonal.

And presents for everybody. Wrapped nicely, of course.

And games for the little children. Can't expect them to play strip poker right?

And the budgeting.

And some small logistics issues...

Like shopping for all the stuff.

I guess it would not take me more than a day to settle everything! After all, legal education trains you to get things done! All I have to do is draw some mind maps to crystallise all the plans! Once things are organised and recorded in black and white, I'll do some delegation here and there and supervise the execution of the whole event. Muahaha!

Better get started on the mind maps soon.

My parents would be so proud. I just know it.haha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home